Thursday, March 6, 2014

.:Leo: 1 Week:.

5 days old


It's hard to believe it's been one week since Leo joined our family! It's been such a whirlwind week of so many highs and a few lows.

Our little Leo man is adjusting well to the world. It's still early days but he is pretty calm and content.

Eating: This little guy has been a breastfeeding champion pretty much as soon as he was born. His latch has been great although I am a bit tender sometimes. My milk came in on day three. Since he is smaller, he needs to eat every 2-3 hours. They checked his blood sugars in the hospital for the first 24 hours but there were never any issues with them. He did lose a few hundred grams in the first 2 days, which is normal but he was almost back up to birth weight by day 5 (2600g) when the midwife made a home visit so no concerns there.
He does get a bit sleepy during feeds so I need to make sure he stays awake by undressing him and keeping him a bit cool. It's especially hard for both of us at night time feeds when we both just want to sleep!

He's had one cluster feeding day/night so far which wasn't as bad as I remembered but I'm sure there will be more to come.

Sleeping: He sleeps like a newborn, so really well so far! He seems to consistently wake up every 3 hours to eat which is exactly what he needs to do right now. He sleeps either in bed between us or in the bassinet beside me. It was hard at first to have him in the bassinet because I had a hard time getting in and out of bed so hubby always had to pick him up and put him down for me. He sometimes has a hard time settling in there so we tried having him in our bed and it's been working for the most part. I'd rather not co-sleep for very long but I'm also open to whatever works for us.

Leo also is not a big fan of swaddling. He doesn't mind a loose swaddle but he just gets frustrated and busts out of a tight swaddle. So different from Audrey who loved being tightly swaddled for months.


Diapers: I just wanted to note that changing a boy vs a girl has been quite different! I never had to wipe pee off the wall before with a girl!! Even when covering him he still pees everywhere so he pretty much needs a full outfit change with each diaper change! I'm sure we will get better at it as time goes on but for now it's quite the funny ordeal! 

First bath: Leo had his first bath on day six. We don't like to rush the first bath since we believe it's important for baby to get good bacteria from mom through skin to skin and it also helps keep the umbilical cord dry, therefore falling off sooner. He didn't mind the bath at first but started to fuss a bit towards the end. 

Personality: He is a pretty laid back guy. He rarely cries- so far, fingers crossed! 

Hair and eyes: Leo is quite fair, especially compared to Audrey. His hair is light brown almost blonde in some places. So far his eyes are dark blue. It will be interesting to see what colour they end up being.

My recovery: So far my recovery from the c-section has gone fairly well. I stayed on top of the meds quite diligently for the first five days and had a couple days where I literally laid in bed all day/night except to go to the bathroom. It's been nice having nothing else to do other than rest and take care of Leo. My incision has healed quite well and my midwife removed the staples on day five. I'm actually quite surprised at how well it has healed up. It's still tender but it's a lot better than I expected. The toughest part has been getting in and out of bed.

Now that it's been a week I feel like my pain level is quite manageable and I'm trying to move around a bit more, without overdoing it. It's hard because we have lots of stairs in our house and everything seems to require bending down! I am getting a bit of cabin fever so I might go for a walk later today.

Hubby has been an amazing help, pretty much taking over everything. It's funny when he asks me how to use the washer and dryer since I almost exclusively do the laundry.

The hardest part, is that I can't tend very easily to Audrey. I can't pick her up or crouch down to play with her. We are constantly reminding her of my 'owie.' I have done the bedtime routine for the last year but obviously hubby has taken that over.

Big Sister: Audrey is loving "baby"! She is so excited when she wakes up or comes home from daycare to see "baby." She runs over to him if he whimpers and loves to talk to him. She can say his name which is the sweetest thing. She seems like a giant next to him and so grown up, yet still my little baby girl. Leo is actually a good tool to bribe Audrey with! If we want her to get dressed, eat her food, take her medicine (she has a cold & minor ear infection) then we just have to ask her if she wants to see Baby Leo and she agrees to whatever we ask of her! I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon.


We are certainly loving our newest addition to our family.

7 comments:

  1. Loved this update!! So glad you are all doing well!! D hated the swaddle at first! Let me know next week if you need to get out, I can pick you up for a coffee date. Enjoy those baby snuggles!! A is soooo cute with him and yes huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like things are going well!! Love all the pics!! I need to get on ordering those stickers!
    Hope Audrey feels better soon, the picture of the two of them is priceless!!
    Glad you are starting to feel better and that the pain is getting better!! Sounds like your hubby is really stepping up to help out around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are going well! I didn't have a c-section but I've had that incision because of gyno-surgery and it does take some time to heal - but in about 2 weeks you will feel a whole pile better :-)

    Haha, funny enough Max has only peed on us 2x his entire life. He isn't a typical boy that way apparently. He does think it is funny to run away after bath and pee somewhere in the house (not cool Max...not cool).

    Max and I basically co-slept every single morning (from 5am-9am) after Paul went to work and now he will not sleep with us at all. As you said - do whatever works :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things are going well.

    Haha, yes the newborn diapers days with boys are quite humorous. I think Liam peed or pood every single time we changed his diaper and there was lots of screaming. Luckily I always avoided getting peed on but I did wipe plenty of pee off the wall lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that everyone is doing well and settling in. That picture is adorable with Audrey holding him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. leo is so precious!! i laughed about him peeing everywhere, henry used to do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last pic is a heart melter, such a serious big sister. Congrats on Leo, he is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!